Our six stages of transformation follow Campbell's Hero's Journey, but also include elements of theatre and storytelling.
Getting to know the process helps guide you through these journeys and reflect on your path. Much like Campbell’s thoughts on the power of The Hero’s Journey, you can transform yourself and your leadership using the same pattern. Storytelling is a timeless tool we’re all familiar with, and it is one that can be used time and again to transform and grow as leaders. Therefore, we see three roles our traveler takes as he passes through six stages of transformation:
- The Explorer uses awareness of self, others and the environment to prepare for change and the impending journey.
- The Creator sees into the future and defines the journey and its destination.
- The Alchemist completes the transformational journey by bringing together elements that achieve the mission.
The Six Steps
- Where have you been & where are you now?
- What stories do you tell yourself about the past?
- How engaged are you?
- Who are the characters in this story?
- What are they motivated by?
- Who has the power and who does not?
- Where do you want to go?
- What does success look like?
- How do you need to act in order to achieve success?
- What obstacles are in your way?
- What could go wrong if you don’t plan correctly?
- How are you using old thinking to approach new opportunities?
- What is your plan and how do you measure success?
- What are ways you can continuously improve and reduce risk?
- Who do you need to engage and communicate to?
- Do your actions and words reflect your values and purpose?
- Do others know why you do what you do (versus what you do)
- What did you learn along the journey and what is still unexplored?